Senator Steve Hobbs has been a member of the Washington State Senate since 2006. He serves as Chair of the Financial Institutions, Housing & Insurance Committee, and vice co-chair of the Transportation Committee. He also serves as vice-chair of the Agriculture, Water & Rural Economic Development Committee.
In addition to representing the people of the 44th district, he is a member of the Washington Army National Guard and proudly served in Kosovo and Iraq.
Based on strong input from his constituents, Senator Hobbs has adopted an expansive policy agenda which includes promoting local job creation through helping small businesses and improving our transportation infrastructure ; promoting legislation that holds state government accountable for the dollars we spend; and working with the community to create new and innovative approaches to strengthening our education system. He is particularly focused on expanding programs in our high schools and colleges that will prepare our students for the growing demand in the high-tech industries both at home and globally.
Steve also continues to advocate for our service members and their families in Washington State by drafting policies that recognize the complex needs of the men and women serving in our military. Steve has worked with service members across our state to develop useful legislation to service members and their families ranging from help in education, finding good family wage jobs, and protecting veterans’ rights since his time in the Senate.
Steve is a proud husband and father. He’s been married to his wife Pam since 1995 and together they are raising three boys: Gavin, Truman, and Winston all of whom attend public schools.
Raised in a working class family, Steve was taught to value education and hard work. In 2011, he received a Master’s of Public Administration from the University of Washington Evans School. In 1994 he earned a bachelor’s degree in political science at the University of Washington. He also holds an associate’s degree from Everett Community College.
Steve has been honored by numerous civic and community organizations for his legislative work and military service. His public service honors include:
- 2013 Legislator of the Year, Washington Low Income Housing Alliance
- 2013 Proud Partner Award, Washington State Housing Finance Commission
- 2013 Department of Defense Certificate of Appreciation
- 2012 Housing Hero, Housing Consortium of Everett and Snohomish County
- 2012 Legislative Recognition Award, Public School Employees of Washington
- 2012 Bringing Washington Home Advocacy Award, Washington Low-Income Housing Alliance
- 2011 Legislator of the Year, The Aerospace Futures Alliance
- 2011 Matson Award, Association of Washington Business
- 2010 Pioneer Educator
- 2010 NAACP Distinguished Armed Services Award
- 2010 Farm Bureau, Friend of Farm Bureau Award
- 2010 WASA Region Certificate of Achievement
- 2009 Housing Hero, Snohomish County Camano Association of Realtors
- 2009 Certificate of Appreciation, American Legion 96 Snohomish County
- 2008-2010 Legislator of the Year, Washington Association for Career and Technical Education
- 2008 Legislator of the Year, Washington Council of Police and Sheriffs
- 2007 Super Star Award, Washington State Skills Center
- 2007-2009 Business Champion, Joint Snohomish County Chambers of Commerce
- 2007-2008 Legislative Leadership Award, Statewide Poverty Action Network
- Commanders Award, Disabled American Veterans Dept. of Washington
During his free time Steve enjoys listening to music and reading. One of his favorite musicians is Huey Lewis.